Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in India

Marriage and Divorce

Do you plan to get married in India?

Canadian citizens who wish to be married in India should go to the office of the Registrar of Marriages of their place of residence to obtain further information. Registration of marriages in India is done either under the Hindu Marriage Act (1955) or under the Special Marriage Act (1954). The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable to Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs only. The Special Marriage Act is applicable to all persons irrespective of religion. Under this Act, conversion of religion is not required.

The Registrar of marriages asks for a letter from the High Commission stating that the Canadian national who wishes to have his/her marriage registered is free to marry. Since Consuls are not competent to grant certificates that no impediment exists to the capacity of a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada to marry, the Consular Section issues a certificate called as “Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment”. Please contact the Consular Section should you need this certificate. The fee is CAD $ 30.00.

Marriages are never celebrated at the High Commission of Canada.

Certificate of Marriage Celebrated in Canada

Canadian marriage certificates can be obtained from the vital statistics service of the province in which the event occurred. Requests must be sent to the provincial authorities. The fee for issuing marriage certificates will vary from province to province. Please note that there is no central registry of marriages in Canada.

List of Provincial vital statistics offices in Canada

Divorce Proceedings

Obtaining a divorce in India is a private legal matter. We suggest you consult with a lawyer for specific guidance. The High Commission of Canada in New Delhi maintains a list of Lawyers in India


Date Modified: