Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in India

Procurement or Replacement of an Indian Visa

Procurement of an Indian Visa

Information regarding Indian visa and immigration can be found on the following Government of India websites: or  We are unable to assist with Indian visas or immigration requirments.

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit India. The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country.

A valid Indian Visa is also required before travelling to India. These can be obtained from the Indian diplomatic representatives abroad nearest to you. Foreigners arriving in India without a visa will be deported. In the case of a lost or stolen passport, Indian authorities must provide clearance for an exit visa, which can take two to three days to obtain. (See below)

It is strongly recommended that you visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade's Consular Affairs Web site Travel Report for India before making arrangements for travel to India.

Replacement of an Indian Visa

A Canadian citizen who is issued a replacement passport in India after a passport has been lost or stolen must bring the replacement passport to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) to receive an exit visa. This exit visa allows the traveler a specified period of time (usually a few days) in which to leave the country legally. Without an exit stamp in your passport, Indian authorities will not allow you to leave India.

This is a brief outline of how exit visa requests are normally processed to help you begin the process. Please bear in mind that while you are in India you are subject to Indian laws, regulations and procedures. The FRRO Office will be your best source of information and assistance regarding Indian visas.

The Foreigners Regional Registration Offices are located at:

New Delhi
Foreigners Regional Registration Office
Block 8, Sector 1
R.K. Puram (Behind Hyatt Regency Hotel)
Ph. 91-11-2671 1348, 2671 1384
Fax. 91-11-2671 1348

Foreigners Regional Registration Office
237, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road,
Kolkata - 700 020
Ph: 91-33-2240-4564/2247-3300

Foreigners Regional Registration Office
Shastri Bhawan Annexe
Haddows Road
Ph.: 91-44-28278210
Fax: 91-44-28240338

Foreigners Regional Registration Office
Annexe 2, CID, IIIrd Floor
Badruddin Tayeb Ji Marg (near Crawford Market)
Mumbai 400 001
Ph.: 91-22-22621169

For an exit visa, you will be asked to present:

  • Your replacement Canadian passport
  • The letter issued by the High Commission giving details of your lost/stolen passport.
  • In cases of stolen passports, a copy of the police report of the theft.
  • A letter from the airline on which you arrived, verifying the date and place you entered India

No fee is charged for an exit visa. A fee applies only if you apply for an extension of an Indian visa to remain in India for a longer period.

If you arrived in India in New Delhi, your exit visa may be issued within a few days. If you arrived in India at another airport or border crossing, the exit visa may take significantly longer to be issued because Indian authorities will want to verify the details of your arrival in India.

Replacement Indian visas may also be requested from FRRO, although they will take significantly longer to issue because the original visa issuance must be verified with the issuing post overseas. The High Commission is unable to intervene in routine visa requests. Discuss your application with FRRO officials, who will be in the best position to advise you how long the process will take.


Date Modified: