Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Frequently Asked Questions

I do not have documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. What can I do?

If you do not have your proof of Canadian citizenship or if you have lost your proof of Canadian citizenship, you should have the document replaced as soon as possible and, if possible, defer your immediate travel plans. After you have applied for a replacement of your proof of Canadian citizenship and if your travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all other supporting documentation as well as your proof of need for travel. We will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your travel needs. Limited validity passports cannot be extended.  Please provide your proof of travel such as a confirmed and paid itinerary or an airline ticket, as supporting documentation to assess your case.

How do I update the photo on my citizenship certificate?

Since February 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada no longer produces the plastic wallet-sized citizenship certificate with photo. Instead, those applying for a citizenship certificate (including a replacement) receive a letter-sized paper citizenship certificate that no longer contains the applicant’s photograph. However, applicants must still provide two citizenship photographs with their application for a citizenship certificate. These photos will be uploaded in the citizenship records and the applicant will receive the new citizenship certificate format without photo. For more information on the new citizenship certificate, please refer to the CIC website.

I have a valid passport. When can I apply for a new passport?

You can apply for a new passport up to 12 months before your current passport expires. Please note that if you apply for a new passport before your current passport expires, the unused validity period of your current passport will not be transferred to your new passport.

Can the validity of my passport be extended?

As of February 1, 2010, extensions of passports are not permitted.  Holders of a limited validity passport wishing to obtain a full validity passport will need to submit a new application with all the normal requirements.

Can I add more pages to my passport?

It is no longer possible to add pages to Canadian passports. An applicant who has a valid passport in which the visa pages have become filled with visas or entry-exit stamps, must apply for a new passport.

I have got married in India. Can I add a married name in my current passport?

No. We cannot add your married name in your current passport. You will have to apply for a new passport in your married name.  Please submit your marriage certificate, and two pieces of supporting documents in your married name along with the regular passport application, to have your passport issued in your married name.

Do I need to give written authorization for my representative to submit an application?

We can only accept passport applications submitted by relatives who can present a government-issued ID showing they reside at the same address as the applicant.  Please note that you will be required to collect the new passport in person if a representative submitted the passport application on your behalf.

How can I apply for a passport if I do not have an eligible guarantor?

If you have not lived in India for a minimum period of two years, it is reasonable that you will not be able to find a guarantor in the jurisdiction who will have known you for at least two years. As such, please contact us to obtain the PPTC 132 form, “Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor.” This form cannot be downloaded from the internet and must be submitted in original format.

The statutory declaration may be notarized in our office for an additional fee.

The PPTC132 Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor requires substantial background information. You are advised to fully complete the form before presenting your documents to our office but do not sign the form until you read the oath in front of the notary public or Commissioner for Oaths. In addition to your personal details, you will need to provide your residential addresses for the past 5 years, where you have been working or studying for the past 5 years, and also supply the names of two people who have known you for two years or more and are not your relatives to act as references. Your two references do not need to reside in  India but must be available by phone to verify your details. We are required to check both references before a new passport can be issued to you.  The references provided on the PPTC132 form should not be the same as those provided on Page 3 of the adult passport application form.

How long does it take to process my passport application?

Passport applications are processed according to the Passport Office standard of 20 working days. There is no standard expedited service available outside of Canada. Emergency cases are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

If you are requesting emergency rush processing of your application, please present your fully completed application to our office in person and provide full details of your case. Please note we cannot assess your circumstances without examining your application and supporting documentation.

Can I request rush processing of my passport application?

The High Commission of Canada in India is not permitted to charge a fee for rush processing and is unable to expedite the issuance of a passport.

If you have a genuine emergency, please present your fully completed application to our office in person and provide full details of your case. Please note we cannot assess your circumstances without examining your application and supporting documentation. We will only consider emergency services on a case-by-case basis.

Can I travel to Canada using my Canadian citizenship card and a passport issued from another country (ex. Indian passport)?

Absolutely not.  Most airlines will not carry a passenger who only presents a passport from a country which normally requires a Canadian visa to facilitate entry to Canada.  A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted identification document.  It proves that you have a right to return to Canada.  Further information on Returning to Canada is available on the Travel website

Where can I have my photos taken?

The High Commission of Canada in New Delhi does not designate or appoint any photographer to produce Canadian passport photographs. Passport photos are available at most photo studios in India. Please present our photo specifications to the photographer and request that they produce photographs that meet the size and quality as noted.

Please do not approach a photographer and ask for “Canadian passport photos” as photo studios may not be familiar with “Canadian passport photos” as such. However, if they are presented with the actual photo specifications, most often, they will be able to meet our requirements.

Please note that photos which do not meet our specifications are not acceptable. Photos subject to premature fading or are sensitive to heat, i.e. most instant photos from instant photo booths, will be rejected. Group photos will be rejected.

How can I replace a damaged passport?

If you have damaged or destroyed your Canadian passport, please submit what remains of your passport along with a fully completed passport application (including supporting documentation and fees) to our office to process a replacement. You must include the form, PPTC 203 Statutory Declaration (PDF Version) Concerning a Lost, Stolen, Damaged, Destroyed, or Inaccessible Passport or Travel Document.

Will I be allowed to keep my damaged or destroyed passport?

No. The damaged or destroyed passport must be surrendered to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi. 

Can I send someone to collect the passport on my behalf?

We will need an authority letter from you to release the passport to a third-party.  The person who comes to collect the passport must carry his/her identity document.

Can I have my new passport sent to a Canadian mission in another country for me to collect there?

No. If you cannot collect your passport from our office on the appointed date or within the 15 days thereafter, please contact our office to advise when you will be able to pick up the new passport. We will make arrangements to retain the passport in our office for a reasonable period of time to meet your needs.

Can I still use the valid visas in my cancelled passport?

Only the visa issuing authority can determine the validity of a visa in a cancelled passport. We would advise the bearer of the passport to contact the relevant foreign issuing authority for more information.  Please be advised that visas are the sole responsibility of the passport bearer.

My passport has expired for some time. Can I still renew it?

If your passport has expired, you may submit an application to have a new passport issued to you. There is no time limit to submit for the new passport. Please follow the instructions on the application form and submit a normal application with all supporting documentation to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi for processing.

Am I able to travel using my expired passport?

Passports are only valid for travel before the expiry date. Once a passport has expired, you cannot use it. For your own convenience, please ensure your current passport is valid before you book your tickets for travel. Note that some countries require at least six months validity on a passport. Applications submitted to our office require 20 working days to process.

Am I able to travel using my Canadian citizenship card?

A Canadian citizenship card is your proof of Canadian citizenship. It is not a valid travel document and cannot be used for travel purposes. You are advised to always carry a valid Canadian passport when travelling.

Leaving a foreign country and re-entering Canada  

Why do you recommend that Canadians ensure there are at least six or more months of validity remaining on their passports?

Many countries strictly enforce a rule prohibiting entry if the traveller is holding a passport that will expire within six months of the date of entry. We strongly urge Canadians to check with their travel agent, airline, or Embassy of the country they intend to visit to ensure their document is acceptable for entry otherwise the individual may experience financial loss as a result of cancelled travel plans.

Do I require six months of validity on my passport to travel back to Canada?

No. Canadians can use their passport to return to Canada provided the document is still valid.

My child is born in India and does not have proof of Canadian citizenship yet. How can I get a passport for his/her travel?

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each passport application.  If your child was born in Indiaand you have not yet applied for his/her Canadian citizenship certificate, you will need to do that before submitting a passport application.  If possible, you should consider deferring all travel plans until the certificate is received from the processing centre in Canada.  For citizenship cards, this can be a lengthy process and we urge you to submit the application as soon as possible after the birth of your child. 

Following submission of the citizenship application, if travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel, such as a confirmed and paid itinerary or an airline ticket, to assess the case.  As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the original proof of Canadian citizenship from one of the parents, the original foreign birth certificate showing both parents' names, and the receipt confirming submission of the citizenship application. Our passport examiners will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child’s travel needs.   If the Canadian parent and the child are born outsideCanada, then the completed form PPTC445 (Confirmation of Parents’ Canadian Citizenship History for a Child Born Abroad) is also required.  A PPTC116 form must be completed by the applying parent. 

Please note that a Limited Validity Passport can only be issued to children below two (2) years of age who have no Declaratory Evidence of Citizenship.

The other parent is living in another country. How do I get his/her signature for consent?

Both parents are required to participate in the application process for the issuance of a child’s passport. If one parent is living in another country, you do not need to have him/her sign the application form which will be submitted to us. His/her personal details (name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers, etc.) however must be provided on the application form. The parent living abroad will be required to contact the nearest Passport Canada office or Canadian mission to make arrangements to complete the PPTC 028 - Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child. This form is to be completed and signed in the presence of the passport officer. The parent living abroad must bring his/her own passport and other original supporting documents which may be required for the application, when s/he approaches the passport issuing office for identification and signature verification. After it has been completed and signed, the form and supporting documents will be forwarded to our office by the passport officer so we may continue processing the child’s passport application.

The other parent is not able to sign the passport form. What can I do?

If it is not possible to obtain the signature of the other parent, you must provide as many details as possible (i.e. name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers, last known contact, details of your attempts to locate the other parent, etc.), and inform us that the other parent cannot be located. Your file will not be processed under normal conditions, but will be given special consideration due to concerns related to child custody issues.

Both parents are living in another country.  Who can submit the child’s application on their behalf and what are the requirements?

Both parents are required to participate in the application process for the issuance of a child’s passport. Each parent living abroad will be required to contact the nearest passport issuing office to make arrangements for them to forward the following documents to the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi:

  • PPTC 028 “Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child” form. This form is to be completed and signed in the presence of the passport officer;
  • one valid document for each parent, showing his/her signature, to support identity;
  • original proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • a letter signed by each parent explaining why S/He cannot apply for the child passport is also required along with a declaration stating  "I, (name of parent, custodial parent or legal guardian), as legal guardian of the child, authorize (name of de facto applicant) to apply for a passport on behalf of child (name of child) and the passport, when issued, may be released to that person." 
  • a statement from the de facto applicant saying “ I have been authorized by the legal guardians (names of both parents) to complete this form (along with a copy of his/her identification document and contact phone number, address and date of birth)

The first passport was issued with the baby photo.  How can I get the passport photo updated?

Once the passport has been produced, the photograph cannot be updated. Children who have been issued a passport in their first year of life (between birth and 364 days) are entitled to a one-time gratis replacement passport. This is in recognition of the rapid change in the features of children of this age.

The passport being replaced will have to be surrendered and will not be returned in this case.  The maximum validity period of the replacement passport is three years from the date of issue of the original passport.

Will my child require a new passport once he or she reaches the age of 16 and still holds a valid one?

No. The passport of a child who turns 16 years of age continues to be valid until it expires. A passport issued to a child is identical to a passport issued to an adult.

My child does not know a guarantor for two years. What can I do to obtain a guarantor for my child’s passport application?

When a guarantor signs on a child’s passport application, they are confirming they have known the applying parent for a period of two years or more, not the child. They should have knowledge that the child is the child of the applying parent and they must confirm that the details on the application form are correct in addition to certifying the back of one of the photos of the child. However, they are not required to have known the child for two years or more.

Is it necessary for my child to come in person to either submit the application or collect the new passport?

Under normal circumstances, your child does not need to appear in our office at either submission of the application or collection of the new passport.  However, we reserve the right to interview you, the other parent, or the child at any time during the application processing period.  Please ensure that all parties are available to appear at the passport issuing office if requested.



Date Modified: