Marriage of Canadians in the Philippines

Any foreign national who wishes to marry in the Philippines is required by the Philippine Government to obtain from his/her Embassy or Consulate in the Philippines, a “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” before filing an application for a marriage license. This certification affirms that there are no legal impediments to the proposed marriage. Unlike the Philippines, the Government of Canada does not keep a central statistical registry of marriages and cannot verify this information. Instead, the Philippine Government may accept a Statutory Declaration, in lieu of the required certificate, that is notarized by the Embassy or Consulate of Canada.

How to obtain a Statutory Declaration

Canadians must appear in person at the Embassy in Manila or the Consulate in Cebu. The non-Canadian fiancé(e) is not required to be present. At the Embassy, no appointment is required during the Consular Section Client Service Hours and the Statutory Declaration can normally be issued on the same day. To obtain the Statutory Declaration in Cebu, please contact the Consulate to make an appointment.


  • your valid Canadian passport or citizenship certificate;
  • the full legal name, citizenship, and residential address of your future spouse;
  • if you are divorced or widowed, an original or certified true copy of the final divorce decree or death certificate. All documents presented at the Embassy must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official English or French translation; and
  • the non-refundable processing fee.

Additional information

  • Although there is no validity period indicated on the Statutory Declaration the Local Civil Registrar may not accept a Declaration issued more than six (6) months prior to the date of marriage;
  • Permanent residents of Canada who do not hold Canadian citizenship must obtain a certificate or declaration from the Embassy or Consulate of their nationality within the Philippines;
  • Divorce decrees may not be automatically recognized in the Philippines. Canadian citizens who were previously married in the Philippines and are intending to re-marry in the Philippines after obtaining a divorce in Canada (or elsewhere) are advised to seek legal advice or contact the National Statistics Office in the Philippines to confirm procedures on how the foreign divorce decree can be recognized and enforced in the Philippines;
  • The Philippine government may require an official English translation of a divorce decree or death certificate; and
  • If both parties to the proposed marriage are Canadian citizens, each one must present a declaration.