Frequently Asked Questions

Passports and Citizenship:

Do I have to make an appointment for citizenship services?

You do not need to make an appointment and may submit your application anytime during the Consular public hours at the Embassy of Canada in Manila.

However, you are required to make an appointment if you are submitting your application in person at the Consulate of Canada in Cebu.

My child was born in another country, can I submit the citizenship application in Manila?

You should submit your child's citizenship application to the office which has jurisdiction over the city in which your child is currently residing.

How do I update the photo on my citizenship card? Is it compulsory?

You can update your photo on your citizenship card by completing an "Application for a Citizenship Certificate" - PDF Version * (676 KB). It is not compulsory by law to update your photo. However an updated photo can avoid unforeseen inconveniences.

Do I need a guarantor to sign on the citizenship application form? What about my citizenship photos?

No you do not need a guarantor to sign the citizenship application form or your citizenship photos.

Does my child have to come in person when I submit his/her citizenship application form?

No, your child is not required to come in person.

How do I change my address information after I have submitted my application for citizenship?

To change your address, please contact us by email at Please provide the name of the applicant, applicant’s date of birth and both the old and new addresses in the email.

Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?

No. Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not give you citizenship. You must first apply and obtain permanent residence, then apply for Canadian citizenship and meet the same requirements as any other person seeking citizenship in Canada.

Can I travel to Canada using my Canadian citizenship card?

No, you cannot. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document.

I am Canadian but was born outside Canada. Will my children be Canadians?

In general, if your children are born in Canada, they will be Canadian. If your children are born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, they will be Canadian only if their other parent was born in Canada or became a Canadian citizen by immigrating as a permanent resident and subsequently being granted citizenship (also called "naturalization"). Please refer to the information on New Citizenship Rules available on the CIC website.

If I adopted a child outside Canada, can I obtain citizenship for my child?

Applications for citizenship grants for adopted children must be submitted directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Information on applying for citizenship grants is available on the CIC website.

Can I renounce (give up) my citizenship?

Yes, you may renounce your Canadian Citizenship by completing and submitting an "Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship Under Sub-Section 9(1)" along with original documentation to support your application and the application fee. Please refer to following webpage for more information.

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page .